Our Green Policy
The Clog & Billycock recognises that our work may have a direct or indirect effect on the environment and so we are committed to minimising any harmful effects on the environment through a management programme that includes appropriate targets and operational procedures. We aim to achieve continuous progress in our environmental management and performance, to prevent pollution and to become a more sustainable business.
Our commitment to this is our membership of the Green Tourism Business Scheme. We currently hold the Silver award. This scheme is in place in order to help tourism businesses reduce the environmental impact of their activities. By encouraging and promoting these practices the scheme ensures the continued enjoyment of the environment around us for many generations to come.
We also have a Visitor’s Code of Conduct for the customers at The Clog & Billycock. This explains why and how to treat the environment with more care.
Our Visitors Code of Conduct
Whatever we do and wherever we go we have an impact on the environment.
There are many different ways in which you can get involved whilst visiting the area to look after the beautiful surroundings; in order to make sure it is just as special on your next visit. This will also support our commitment to sustainable tourism.
- Why not get out of the car?
There are many ways to get around without going in a car for example walking, riding and cycling and you will find there are many great places to visit right here in the heart of the Ribble Valley. You can find cycling routes and walks on our website and in the leaflets displayed in the porch area. Why not take a walk before or after your meal?
- Stay Local, eat local, buy local and see local
Here at The Clog & Billycock we believe in everything local and so why not try it for yourself. There is a range of fine foods in the area so why not seek out farmer’s markets, village stores and cafes and make a real difference to the local community.
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Please try and support us in our efforts to reduce waste and make the environment a nicer place by recycling where possible and reducing the amount of waste by re-using items such as napkins.
- Switch off and save energy
By switching off lights and standby buttons when not in use you can help to reduce the amount of CO2 emissions and reducing energy. You can also help to save water by not leaving taps running and only using the water you need.
- Follow the countryside code
The countryside code reminds us to enjoy, respect and protect the environment that we live in. this is by looking after plants and animals, putting litter in the bin. Keep dogs under control and to consider other people. Visit www.countrysideaccess.gov.uk for more information.
Our Commitment so far...
Some of the main steps we have taken so far at are:
- Created a Green Team to represent the company with an individual Green Representative at each location
- We have now fitted new chemical systems which are much more efficient and prevent chemical waste therefore dramatically improving cost in use
- Contacted suppliers to ask them about their personal Green policies if they have one
- Tried to use low energy lighting where possible
- Sourced all food produce from local, regional suppliers to get the best quality produce available
- Promoted local suppliers by ‘Following Nigel’s Food Heroes’
- Using email as much as possible to save paper
- Providing information on walks and cycle routes to encourage less car use
- Working closely with Neales Waste their state of the art landfill & recycling plant means that more products then ever can be productively recycled. We have therefore provided new bins to recycle more used products such as plastic, glass, paper, cardboard and aluminium.
- We also separate food waste which is collected and used for pet foods and other products such as bio-fuel production.
- Reduced water use by fitting save-a-flush bags in all toilets on site.
We would like to ask you to help us as much as possible. If you do have any suggestions please mention them to a member of our team.